India is a country of rich cultural heritage. Many of the tourist destinations here have rich histories behind them which are preserved through paintings and murals on the wall, sculptures and monuments, tombs, forts, temples etc. Likewise, there are many beautiful hill stations with breathtaking beauty and scenic locations.
“To travel is to live and take a journey into yourself”. Travelling to a new place always helps in providing an escapade to the unknown and exploring life in a different aspect.
The thing about tourism is that the reality of a place is quite different from the mythology of it.
– Martin Parr
It would be worthwhile to showcase the different aspects of a particular tourist spot and boost tourism and travel activities as it forms a huge part of our economy. It also provides plenty of employment opportunities to the people.
Some of the steps that can be taken by the Indian government to boost tourism are:
- To display DOs and DON’Ts prominently at every tourist center. Either a pictorial format or a word format (the board should be displayed in English, Hindi and the regional language) board can be used.
2. “The power of social media is that it enforces necessary change”.
Awareness on keeping the tourist spots clean can be created through advertisements, social media, radio, newspapers etc.
3. “Family holidays are full of really brightly colored memories”.
Special holiday packages at affordable costs can be introduced. Such packages will be useful for larger/joint families.
4. “Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work”.
The government can hire professionals i.e. people who have tourism management degrees to help in providing strategical decisions which would, in turn, boost tourism.
5. Hiring guides with proficiency in various foreign languages can help in boosting tourism where foreign tourists visit more in number. They should also be trained in explaining the finer aspects of a particular tourist spot.
6. “Providing proper hospitality is a way of making guests feel like home”.
Hotels can be constructed in major tourist destinations which can be afforded by all and proper transport facilities can also be arranged to connect various places in a particular tourist destination. By improving the standards and facilities at important tourist destinations, tourists will avoid defacing and littering the place.
7. “The greatness of a culture can be found in its festivals” – Siddharth Katragadda.
As our country is very famous for various festivals, arrangements can be made for foreign tourists to view the celebrations. For e.g. in Tamil Nadu, during the festival called Pongal, arrangements are made so that foreign tourists can view and enjoy the making of Pongal. Such arrangements can help tourists understand our culture and give them a sense of deeper connection to our people and their practices.
8. Safety should be ensured to all the tourists so that they can enjoy a wonderful holiday in our country.
Boosting tourism will help in improving the economy of the country. People should also play an important part in treating tourists like their own guests and help them in whatever way they can.
“Atithi Devo Bhava”.