Social media: Facebook
A year ago there was a circulating challenge for users of popular social network Facebook, called “Fire challenge”: a person must cover his/her body by some accelerant provoking fire and then get the body burning. All must be recorded on video and posted on Facebook, in order to make insane followers who can be inspired to do the same. Unfortunately this “game” has already finished a young life of 15years old boy from the US, who underestimated the power of flames and died for the scalding. Police warned public to not share this kind of videos and to stop this network.
Social media: Facebook, Instagram
Recently, on two of the most famous social networks another very risky challenge appeared: the so-called “Paracetamol challenge”. The name comes from one of the most popular painkillers in the world. It consists of an over-taking of this medicine and the result can be potentially fatal. The Scottish media brought the first serious case of abuse over-the-counter painkillers at the beginning of May 2015. However, the first case of death was reported at the end of the same month in the UK, where a 19 years old girl did not survive after ingesting too many pills.
Neknominate drinking game
Social media: Facebook, Youtube
Have you been nominated? Because this is the important element of this challenge. The rules are following: you are nominated by one of your friends on Facebook or Youtube to drink an alcoholic beverage, often of large quantities. After doing so, you have a right to be nominator and move this “obligation” to some of your friends. Nominated users of the social networks started with drinks as beer or cider. Unfortunately, as time was passing, nominated wanted to impress their followers and started to drink “harder drinks”. As CNN wrote, the extreme cocktails drunk in this game were for example spirits with a dead mouse, water out of a toilet, alcohol with goldfish or even alcohol with Viagra, insects, engine oil and with dog food. The same news noted that there are at least 5 persons killed by the consequences from alcohol effects.
Social media: Youtube
We can find many self-called celebrities on Youtube. However, not everybody is able to become popular by singing or dancing on video, and sometimes a person needs to do something very stupid and dangerous to gain his/her few minutes of fame. GloZell is one of latter mentioned. For instance, in one of her videos we can be witnesses of her “condom challenge”. She tries to insert a condom into her nose, snorting inside the throat and coughing it back via the mouth, as described on the Boston University website. Luckily, this challenge did not become famous and dangerous for anybody else than the inventor.
Selfie could be considered as a word of the year. Selfie, as we definitely must know, is a picture made by yourself. Not only almost every user of social media has one, but even in the shops you can buy the instruments to take your selfie as best you can. Until now it seems to not be dangerous to take a picture of ourselves, the important is when and where you are doing it. The articles on international news channels called, “10 selfies before death” describes people that took their selfie when their death was already “touching their back”. Giving an example: a girl took a picture on the top of a bridge, few seconds after she lost balance and fell on the voltage wire that killed her; a man did a selfie with his gun to impress his friends, but after he pulled the trigger and shoot his head. Furthermore, a driving girl wanted to express her good mood by new selfie, but a while after she had a deadly accident. There are more and more examples of people that for a picture risked their lives and they are not war photographers.
We have seen examples of the human willingness to be better than others, to show where they are able to arrive to become popular and to die unnecessarily. The question is: how many of us will follow them or invent new challenges? Let’s think. To be famous for a moment or to be dead forever is a huge difference.