in ,

“Let’s Try It Once” – And “Once” Became A “Regular” Habit

"Let's Try It Once" - And "Once" Became A "Regular" Habit 7

Year 2009, 18th January. A day before my English test, when suddenly my mother came and gave me this sad news- Gaurav is no more!

I was shell shocked, Gaurav (name changed), my classmate, I met him yesterday only and now; I was numb and for a moment blank. I quickly called my friends and gave them the news, they too couldn’t believe that Gaurav is no more.

Without wasting any further time we all went to his house. There it was, his lifeless body lying on the floor, covered with a white sheet of cloth. He was just 17 and the topper of our class, a bright student, what happened to him, how he…???

Well he died due to  overdose of diluter addiction! Yes you read it right whitener or the correction fluid used for correcting mistakes. In the year 2009 the rate of deaths due to whitener, dendrites or any other organic solvent was significantly high. One of the main reasons- easy availability of such materials.

Like Gaurav there were several other noticeable cases of whitener addiction. Its cheap and easily available, so why not take up this!"Let's Try It Once" - And "Once" Became A "Regular" Habit 8

During the year 2009 the no. of deaths due to whitener-inhaling was rising rapidly.  They think that these addictive materials will help to cope up with their problems at home, academics pressure and other added responsibilities like scoring good marks. 

For example, the case of the homeless kids at the Delhi Railway station, they earn their living by selling empty bottles from the train. But, during winters their condition becomes more bad, to sustain the cold they sniff “thinners”, according to them it makes them feel warm and helps them to survive the bitter cold of Delhi. 

Second is the case of Neha Gowswami (name changed) who out of excitement and zeal to explore new things, became prey to these life taking solvents. She tried it for once on an experimental purpose and then it became her regular habit. But who should be blamed for this?? Family, for not communicating well with their children’s, for putting constant pressure of scoring good or the environment they are mixing with or the shops who are selling these addictive materials to these kids??"Let's Try It Once" - And "Once" Became A "Regular" Habit 9

Solvents like “Diluter” “Dendrite” tends to give a sudden kick when it reaches the lungs and affects the brain and the nervous system causing an hour long hallucination which according to them is really enjoyable. Unaware about the fact that its causing harm to their nervous system, dizziness, blurred visions, etc.  

This form of addiction is still practiced in many parts of India, and is commonly seen among the slum children as well the rich brats. Our government instead of putting a ban on beef or blaming an adult entertainer for the no. of rapes, should make an awareness regarding these addictive solvents. Its the duty of everyone, even the shopkeepers to be alert and never sale “Whiteners” or “Dendrites” to children below 20. Practically its not possible to put a ban on these materials, so its the duty of every individual to create awareness about its effect and consequences. Today its someone else, but tomorrow it can be your son or daughter! 

 

 

 

 

What do you think?

Written by Sarnali

I am a Mass Comm. graduate, love to click-write-post. Currently a fresher,and an explorer by nature.

Comments

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Loading…

0
10 Best Tourist Attractions in Japan 24

10 Best Tourist Attractions in Japan

Is it National Media or North Media? 25

Is it National Media or North Media?