Distraction is basically some thing that prevents someone from concentrating on something else. In a student’s life it is easy to get distracted by silly things.
In this fast paced world, it is not surprising to find students who spend more time lavishly in things that cause distraction rather than pursuing their careers. We find that we can never complete a task within the deadline; we procrastinate. In this rat race of capitalism it seems 24 hours is never enough in a day. This is because almost half of the time spent is in inconsequential work. When was the last you completed all of your work within the stipulated time feeling completely satisfied?
Hard to answer, right? It is because knowingly or unknowingly, we are indulging ourselves in distractions. They hinder our productivity and hamper our careers in the long run. The following is a compilation of the most common distractions in a student’s life.
Social Media – Distractions In A Student’s Life
These days it’s quite impossible to sit at one place and not have the urge to go and check out what are the latest updates in social networking sites. What seems to be a 5-minute check turns into an hour long loitering.
This is the most debated distraction in recent times. Social media like Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter prevent students from concentrating on their studies and tempt them to while away their time by sharing selfies and engaging themselves in trivial conversations.
2. Smartphones and other electronics – Distractions In A Student’s Life
Electronics are a major distraction in a student’s life. When a student sits down to study, a small ‘ping’ invites them towards their smart phone. Playing video games, watching television shows and texting are some of the activities that find their way into our busy schedule.
3. Girls and Boys – Distractions In A Student’s Life
For some of the students, people of the opposite sex tend to distract them from their usual course. They spend more time than necessary in ‘pursuing’ or ‘checking out’ people. Flirting, relationships pose more as a diversion when not handled properly.
4. Random chit-chat, gossip – Distractions In A Student’s Life
Often, a 5 minute small-talk gets converted into 30 minutes of random conversation. You should socialize, but only if it does not interfere with your work. Backbiting about other people is a very negative habit.
5. Movies and TV Shows – Distractions In A Student’s Life
The fad to go and watch a new movie as soon as it releases is commonplace. Further, these days, it is conventional to download movies and TV shows in bulk. They eat up a lot of time of a student’s life.
Unless checked, these distractions can really hinder a student’s progress. The following are some ideas on how to tackle with these distractions and achieve your dreams with satisfaction!
- The biggest distraction of them-social media, should be used for 15-30 minutes to update a status, send a few tweets or reply someone, then log out soon after. Chatting should be completely avoided. Instead if you want to talk to someone about something important, just give them a call. This restraint will be tough, but it will be worth the wait.
- In the leisure time, try to avoid irrelevant gossip about other people. Instead use that same time to talk about the world news or have a go at mental ability puzzles. It is more character building and a beneficial way to kill your time.
- While using smartphones it is advisable to keep it silent for everything other than phone calls. With the plethora of apps in today’s smartphone, it is difficult to concentrate if notifications keep popping up every few minutes.
- Short term relationships should be avoided with people. It ends with sorrow and a lot of futile time and makes you dependable on the other. Instead of chasing after some hard-to-get person, it is better to invest that time in a hobby.
- Finally, you should restrict yourself from watching too many movies, maybe one movie a month. It’s better to ask a friend to review how a particular movie is rather than going and watching the first day, first show.
- Furthermore, you could read some good books or newspapers to catch up on current affairs, inspirational stories and literary excellence.
Students should be encouraged to focus on a single aim and consider a secure future for themselves. They should try to do one thing at a time. Distractions are meant for momentary pleasure and lifelong regret. By engaging in distractions, we spend valuable time and resources. Otherwise, we’ll be left with nothing to do!