Since his mother passed away in 2014 due to Cancer. 23-year-old Saurabh Nimbkar plays guitar in local trains to collect donations for helping cancer patients he has also appeared on the Talk Show “Aaj ki Raat hai Zindagi” where his contributions were brought to light. He talks about how he manages to help others and look after himself too.
- So tell us about yourself. Where do you live? and What do you do?
I was born and brought up in Dombivli. And I work in a pharma company called Inventia healthcare Pvt Ltd in quality control. Department as a junior officer.
- Where did you get the idea of helping Cancer patients by singing in local trains?
I used to sing with my friends in train while going back to home from college it was during the treatment of my mother that I realized that I can ask for the donations in return of entertainment of the stressed crowds in local trains.
- How did you find the Strength and Confidence to keep moving forward after your mom passed away?
She is the strength. We imagine every situation we are in with our mom in our place what she would do if she were in our place and the answer comes automatically.
- In a salary of Rs 7000, how do you manage to donate 8000 Rs and look after your own expenses?
When I started with this without keeping any target in mind, only thing I knew was I have to do whatever I can. I only realize this now after all this hype that I collect donations more than my salary.
- Did your appearance on Red F.M and Aaj Ki Raat Hai Zindagi helped you in any way?
Of course, it has seeing Bachchan sir in trains is no ordinary sight and you become super lucky when he comes in for you 🙂 the Whole country loves him and it’s very nice that I am getting a small share of that love in the form of donations. That only helps the needy more and more. Now people all over the country know about me and the cause. All thanks to the show and a special thanks to BBC Worldview for making this happen.
- How much donations do you get from people on a normal day?
Around 800 per day.
- After you collect your donations where do you have to submit it?
I either give it to NGOs who are working for the patients for now there are two. Bright future association and shining angels association. I have started with a new way where I am donating the money directly to the patients through doctors.
- Many people are Cancer Survivors, but they don’t give back to the society by helping them in any way.How do you feel about that?
They are not to be blamed for they have faced what we cannot. Although they have overcome it but the time somehow is unforgettable. It takes a lot of efforts to do what you are saying after having gone through so much. If the do good it’s totally beyond appreciation. If they don’t its fine because I have seen what they have gone through.
- What do you do in your free time?
I hang out with friends I engage most of my free time in music or watching movies.
- Which is your favorite Movie?
The legend of Bhagat Singh 🙂
- Who is your favorite Singer?
Almost everybody is my favorite, but it’s the voice of Mohit Chauhan that does the magic 🙂
- Which is the one song you perform the most in local trains?
It is the song Mumma of the movie Dasvidaniya.
- Has anybody got angry or aggressive while you were singing?
Yes, only once but people stopped him and made me sing again 🙂
- As an Online Magazine, how can we help you to inspire more and more people to donate for cancer patients?
There are lots of stories like me you can put them up to inspire them they may not be cancer-related because it’s not only cancer that has been troubling us. I have targeted it because I have seen what people families go through while handling it. But I would be only glad to work for many things. Cancer is just a start 🙂
If you wish to offer donations, contact Saurabh on +91 91 67 608185.