Single and miserable. Who would want that life? You would rather be in a miserable relationship and put up with all the negativity in your life. Being single would mean lonely nights and no one to love and take care of you. You finally give up and take the step. Now, you are lonely and depressed and the reason why you get up in the morning is gone. You keep checking your phone for a text, but you get none. Your friends are busy with their lives, and you have no one to go out with. Your nightmare has come true. You are miserable and single.
Oh, I forgot to congratulate you. You got out of your miserable relationship. YAYY.
Get rid of all that self-pity and negativity. You are going to start living a wonderful, single life. You do not want anything to hold you back. People may ask you to stop feeling sad. They want your pain to go away. I say, feel it. Cry, shout, do whatever will help you cope with it. One day, you’ll wake up to find that the pain is gone.
Meanwhile, you need to learn how to live with the pain. Here’s what you can do to be happy again.
- Take care of yourself. After break ups, people let the pain take over and tend to let go. Do not do that. It feels great when another person takes care of you, but that doesn’t mean you can’t do it yourself. Get a haircut, buy yourself things. Eat what you love. Exercise. Shave your legs for yourself and not your partner.
- Do what makes you happy. Paint, dance, sing, learn a new language. Do something productive. At the end of the day, you’ll feel great.
- Socialize. Go out, get to know more people. When you are in a relationship, your partner takes up most of your time. Now you are free to meet whoever you want, do new things with them, learn great new stuff.
- Be your own friend. When you have no one to go out or talk with, be your best friend. Take yourself out, talk to yourself. If that feels weird, write a journal. Give solitude a chance.
- Be confident. Do not ever feel like you are single because you are not capable of love or being loved. You are single because you should never have to settle for anyone. You do not need ‘the one’ to feel loved. Love is all around you. Your family, friends, the neighborhood dogs- they all love you.
Single life is not lonely and miserable after all, eh? Happiness is a state of mind. You need to be happy with yourself before you try to be happy with someone else. Till then, enjoy the independence. Fix yourself; you do not need anyone to do that for you.