The human ear has three sections – outer ear, middle ear, and inner ear. Mostly, earaches can cause great discomfort to all the parts or just one. Pain can occur due to an infection in the ear or fluid build-up in the middle ear. Alternatively, it can happen from physical damage to the inner structure of the ear, increased pressure from buildup, blockage of the nasal passage or maybe common cold. An ear infection or pain in the ear is often the reason to visit an ear specialist. There are two main types of ear infection, one is otitis media, another, otitis externa.
Otitis media is the infection of the middle ear and it is more prominent in kids. Otitis externa, or swimmer’s ear, is the infection of the external ear. The ear infection affects boys more than girls and mostly in winter season but rest assured, it not contagious. Moreover, these conditions are benign and can be treated eaisily, but if left untreated, or aggravated from any infection or underlying factor, the condition may require an aggressive form of treatment. If you are a resident of Hyderabad, you are suffering from ear pain or any other ENT disorders, make an appointment with the best ear infection clinic in Hyderabad.
Symptoms for otitis media (middle ear infection)
The symptoms of otitis media are listed here:
- Pain and itch in the infected ear
- Fever and falling sick
- The hearing problem in the infected ear
- Dizziness in some cases
- Fluid discharge from the infected ear
Symptoms for otitis externa (external ear infection)
The symptoms of otitis externa are listed here:
- Itch in the infected ear
- Discharge from the infected ear
- Intense & severe pain from movement of ear lobe or jaw
- Temporary hearing loss
- Mild fever
- Inflammation in the ear
What causes ear infection or pain in ear in adults?
Otitis media is caused when the eustachian tubes are blocked due to cold, allergy or some foreign particles in the ear. The same leads to fluid build-up in the middle ear and can cause swelling of the eardrum after getting infected. If adenoid glands conflict with the function of the eustachian tube, it will induce otitis media. A weakened immune system will not be able to cure the infection. And on the other hand, otitis externa is caused by bacteria or fungi. Moist conditions are favorable for the growth of the bacteria or fungi which leads to the infection. Frequent swimming may increase the chances of infection from the water. Skin allergies can sometimes cause otitis externa. Besides the above causes, other factors such as nutritional deficiency, allergy, and other infections may also cause an ear infection.
However, mild earaches can be treated with easy natural home remedies, the same are listed below:
- Garlic: Garlic has antibiotic and analgesic properties that help to relieve earaches. So, you can crush garlic and heat with 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. Filter and cool it. And put 2-3 drops in the infected ear.
- Ginger: Ginger has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. So, you can take ginger juice and mix it with olive oil. Put a few drops in the hurting ear to get relief.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: It’s one of the potent substance, apple cider vinegar works well for all types of health problems including earaches. Put 2-3 drops in the infected ear and repeat after 12 hours to get relief.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea Tree oil has anti-bacterial features, so acts as an effective remedy for earaches., You can add a few drops to olive oil and warm it. Take a few drops of this oil and put it into the infected ear for relief.
- Juice from Mango Leaves: Mango leaves to have an antibiotic action and can relieve earache. Extract juice by crushing a few fresh mango leaves. Slightly warm up this extract.
- Drink Herbal Tea: It is made from Chamomile or Holy Basil, which provides warmth and can help to get rid of infections. With easing and rejuvenating properties, these herbal teas can be used to get aid in earaches.
Here are some ayurvedic medicines for you if there home remedies are not working for you.
- Balahadadi Thailam
- Kayunnyadui Thailam
- Vacha Lasunadi Thailam
- Kshara Thailam
- Karpuradi Thailam
- Pathyasadangam Kashyam
- Surasadi Choornam
- Guggulupanchapala Choorna
What else we can do in case of ear pain?
The diet in ear problems should be such that it does not impair the quality of the Kapha dosha, which is responsible for them. The following dietary guidelines must be followed:-
- Sour foods are a NO as they vitiate the Kapha. These include curds and fruits that are sour
- Bananas, watermelons, oranges, papayas, and cucumbers must be avoided. These foods can increase the chances of having a common cold. This would aggravate the ear problem
Know when to seek help for your ear pain
If your ear pain supersedes the threshold or disturbs you, again and again, get an advanced surgical procedure in Hyderabad. If you still want to know more about the condition, the best way to be sure is to make an appointment with an ENT specialist. A consultation with an expert ENT may help pinpoint the issue. It will be really helpful if you take notes, share your experience to help your condition, an ent doctor in Hyderabad can help you put together the clues to what may be causing it. Ensure that you inform your ENT specialist of your medical history, active medications or excessive noise exposure that could be playing a role in your ear infection.