This article is for those who suck at adulting. Our teen days are over, but we do not know what to do with ourselves. Schools never taught us how to adult, did they? How are we supposed to handle all the responsibilities that adulthood throws at us when we cannot even make a call without stressing?
People around us look like they have got it all figured out and seeing them do great things with their lives does not help. Remember when we were younger, and we used to think that being twenty-something would be the coolest thing ever? Oh, well.
Well, we cannot just sit in front of our computers and watch cat videos for the rest of our lives, right? These are supposed to be the most fun years of our lives. Stressing won’t help. A positive attitude towards trying new things in life certainly will. So, here’s a list of 10 things one should do before they turn thirty.
- Learn how to love yourself. I know how cheesy this sounds. But then, think about it. The only constant in your life is you. You cannot run from your self. It is extremely hard to love oneself with our minds constantly reminding us of our flaws. We only accept parts of us that the people around us appreciate. The only solution to this is to accept your flaws and work on them. Read books, work out, tell yourself that you are amazing and that you deserve to be loved. Believe in yourself and be confident.
Live on your own. This may sound scary to those who have lived with their parents their entire life. Once you do it, though, the fear will go away. Living on your own will teach you new things, and you will learn how to handle responsibilities. If you don’t like it, you can always go back home. What matters is the experience.
- Face your fears. Another scary thing to do, this one. We all know how the only solution to get rid of your fear is to face it. Do not let your fear control you or stop you from doing anything in your life.
- Get a job you love. Find out what you are passionate about, something that you never get tired of. Make a living out of it. If you are already doing something that is making you feel stuck, know that it’s not too late to leave it behind.
- Go on a trip. Adulthood is stressful. You need to get away at times. Save up money to travel to new places alone or with your friends.
- Learn how to cook. Regardless of your gender, you should know how to cook. Wherever you are, you’ll need food to survive. Why depend on others when you can cook whatever you want, anytime?
- Do what you have always wanted to do. We all had things we wanted to do when we were little but could not because of some reason or the other. Remember feeling jealous of adults who could do whatever they wanted to do? Take time out of your busy schedule to do just that.
- Adopt a pet. Animals cannot talk to you, but they are excellent listeners. Your pet will give you a reason to smile even on days you feel terrible. Coming home to your pet at the end of the day is the best feeling ever.
- Do things for your parents. They have spent their whole lives taking care of you and now that you have grown up, do not just abandon them. Do little things for them that would make them happy and in turn, will make your day.
- Explore your sexuality. This is your time to understand and appreciate what your body is capable of. Do not settle for anything or anyone.
You have survived high school. You can survive this too. Happy adulting!