Language is the most needed tool of communication for humans. We all speak different languages to connect with each other. Its primary purpose is to create a mutual understanding between two people. That is why language is only effective when the people conversing know the same language. A person speaking in French would not be understood by the one who only knows Japanese and vice versa. A majority of us know at least two languages, but that is not enough. We should know at least some of the widely used languages in the world. This will not only help us to build foreign relationships but also increases our knowledge. There are many more reasons to learn a foreign language.
Some of the possible reasons are-
- It helps in developing a better retaining capacity. Since a different language has different rules, grammar, and different meanings, it helps us for better retention. We remember those rules and apply them. Not only retention, but it also helps in sharpening our reading and learning skills. It also helps in solving day to day problems.
- It helps in improving memory. Knowing a foreign language strengthen our memory. A research has showed that persons who know a foreign language have a better memory others. They can easily recall the names, places or memories of the people they have seen or met before.
- It helps to know other culture better. Language is not the only thing that you learn in a foreign language. You get to know about the country’s culture also because language and culture are interrelated. If you know a language, you can visualize its culture. This is the power of languages.
- It makes a person more flexible. If a person knows a foreign language then he/she can be at an advantage of travelling from one country to another. For example, if a person knows German, he/she will not feel awkward at a place that’s related to German culture.
- It helps to build self-confidence. Since you know a foreign language, you know that it will help you in one or the either way. Moreover, a research showed that mastering a particular skill, will automatically enhance other abilities in a person. Thus, helps in building self-confidence.
- It increases career opportunities. With the increase in globalization and liberalization, there is a large amount of trade going from one country to other. This trade is not possible without knowing the culture and language of the trading country. With the increase in the number of BPOs and the expansion of telecom industry, it has become even more important to know a foreign language. Nowadays, schools are also opting for foreign language courses. So, it increases a career in teaching also.
- It enhances the total performance. It helps in academics as it increases the IQ level and develops innovativeness in the students. It acts as a freshener. It freshens your mind as it is not a particularly intimidating subject. It involves enjoyment and curiosity.
Therefore, it is very important to learn a foreign language. Get ready for a new joy and happiness you will feel while learning a foreign language. Do a lot of hard work to master in a language. It involves proper application and practice on a daily basis. Get enrolled in a foreign language class as soon as possible.
Best of Luck!!