Heath is quite a common term used by us. But do we know what health means and what the 7 dimensions of health? We do many things to maintain our health, like eating nutritious food to stay healthy or exercise to be fit. Everyone is health-conscious as we know that health is the main expect for a purposeful life. We usually refer to health as a physical factor and do a lot of practice to maintain it. But health isn’t just about being physically fit. There are 7 dimensions of health that needed to be considered equally.
Health is quite a dynamic term with its dimensions and is closely related to wellness. According to WHO, “Health is a complete state of physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.”
However, in today’s era, three definitions of health are used. The first one says health is the absence of any disease and impairment. The second says that health is a state that allows the individual to cope with all daily life demands adequately. At the same time, the third definition says that health is a state of balance, an equilibrium established by an individual within himself and his social and physical environment. The actual meaning of health lies in between them.
As defined by the WHO, wellness is ” the optimal state of healthy individuals and groups” and is also expressed as “a positive approach to living.“However, NCBI defines wellness as a “holistic integration of physical, mental, and spiritual well being, fueling the body, engaging the mind, and nurturing the spirit.” Thus, wellness is closely related to health. In simple words, we can say that wellness is a state of living a healthy lifestyle.
7 Dimensions of Health: A Simple Definition
There are 5 primary health dimensions, which are physical, emotional, intellectual, social, and spiritual. However, with the concept of wellness included, there are 7dimensions of health, which are:
Physical health is one of the most addressed dimensions among the 7 dimensions of health. It is an ability to maintain a healthy quality of life that allows us to get through our daily activities without unique fatigue or physical stress. The ability to recognize that our behaviors significantly impact our wellness and adopting health habits while avoiding destructive habits that lead to optimal physical wellness.
Physical Health Check
There are a few factors helpful in checking your state of physical health among the 7 dimensions of health. These are
- Checking your health numbers like cholesterol level, weight, blood pressure, and blood sugar levels.
- Getting your annual physical checkups done.
- Avoiding the use of tobacco/alcohol products.
- Getting a sufficient amount of sleep.
- Having an established exercise routine.
- Make healthy meal choices, whenever possible.
- Opting for walk/ bike to class instead of bus/car
Tips for Maintaining Physical Health
Physical health among the 7 dimensions of health is a central part of addiction recovery because addiction comes from damaging physical effects. Physical wellness is one of the easiest dimensions to find resources for its maintenance. Effective ways to maintain physical health are as follows.
- Exercising for about an optimum time can increase your energy level, maintain your brain, and heart health up to level. You can even take advice from health and fitness professionals to start as a beginner. To know more, click here.
- Getting an adequate amount of sleep
- Learn to recognize illness at an early stage. There are various options of healthcare you opt for determining your health as well as the recovery process. To know more, click here.
- Take Control over your meal portions.
- Stop smoking
- Limit the chronic consumption of alcohol
- Always prioritize your safety while driving and other related works.
- Eat healthy and nutritious food and drink an adequate amount of water.
Emotional health is an ability to understand ourselves and cope up with the mental challenges our life brings. It’s an ability to acknowledge and share our feelings of anger, fear, sadness or stress, hope, frustration, love, happiness, and so on and effectively challenging them. It’s the most important dimension among the 7 dimensions of health as it mostly struggled among the general population.
About 44 people of the United States’ adult population are currently dealing with mental illness through a deep stigma of mental health exists as people usually ignore their mental health. Still, now awareness is being generated among the people against it.
Emotional Health Check
There are a few factors helpful in checking your state of emotional health in the 7 dimensions of health. These are
- Are you able to balance professional and personal life?
- Do you know effective ways to reduce your stress?
- Do you make life decisions with limited stress and worry?
- Are you able to set up your priorities?
- Do you ask for whenever you need it?
- Are you able to set your boundaries against the negative feelings?
Tips for Maintaining Emotional Health
Since awareness among people is being generated for mental health, this dimension among 7 dimensions of health is important in the growing years. Here are some tips for maintaining mental health at work and in other areas of life. These are
- Practice optimism that is practicing to shift your views and perspective of your circumstances from being extremely negative to positive with reality.
- Practice mindfulness. It’s one of the most effective ways to become mentally strong and flexible. Mindfulness helps us to practically deal with your current situation rather than worrying about the future or being absorbed in the past.
- Practice reframing It helps us to combat the unnecessary anxious feelings invented by our mind.
- Invest some of your time in developing your favorite hobby
- Tune in with your thoughts and feelings
- Learn time management
- Practice stress management tricks and techniques
Intellectual health among the 7 dimensions of health encompasses your creativity and stimulates mental activities. It helps to open our minds to new ideas and experiences beneficial for our personal and professional growth.
A person with great intellectual health desires to apply and learn new skills, improve their existing skills, and seek new challenges and experiences, and knows how to utilize the resources available at its best to acquire knowledge. It is developed through academics, professional careers, cultural involvement, and hobbies.
Intellectual Health Check
There are a few factors helpful in checking your state of intellectual health in the 7 dimensions of health. These are
- Your participation in class
- Your ability to be open to new ideas
- Are you able to seek personal growth through learning new skills?
- Your lifelong willingness to learning opportunities and stimulating your mental health
- Do you apply the knowledge gained in the class in your practical life?
Tips for Maintaining Intellectual Health
Intellectual health among the 7 dimensions of heath plays an important role in the growth of your professional and personal life. Here are some tips which can be utilized for strengthening your intellectual health
- Build your library of resources which provides you access to a wide variety of resources that can help in the development of your intellectual capability and in expanding your knowledge
- Join some professional development classes
- Encourage yourself to attend brainstorming sessions at your workplace and seek good collaboration opportunities.
- Learn or perfect a foreign language
- Seek out people who challenge you intellectually
- Read a lot
- Learn the appreciation of art
- Attend any course or workshop
Social health among the 7 dimensions of health refers to our ability to interact socially successfully and to live up to the expectations and demands of our roles in the global community. It usually means learning good communication skills, developing positive relationships with others, and creating your family and friends’ strong support network. Respecting others and yourself, your contribution to the community and the world is included under social health.
Social Health Check
There are a few factors helpful in checking your state of social health in the 7 dimensions of health. These are
- The amount of time you spend with your family members and your friends
- Do you enjoy spending time with others, or you spend more in solidarity?
- The positive and rewarding relationships you have with others
- Do you enjoy exploring diversity by interacting with people of other cultures, backgrounds, and beliefs?
- Your interest in joining clubs and organizations
- Your interest in attending public gatherings, occasions, and events
- Your frequency of interacting with new people
Tips for Maintaining Social Health
Social health is an important dimension among the 7 dimensions of health and is the most challenging dimension to be maintained. Social awkwardness is a common problem majority of the population deals with. It affects the personal as well as the professional life of any individual. Here are some tips useful for developing social health. These are
- Attend weekend life councils
- Please participate in co-curricular activities as it will develop your leadership skills and abilities and enhance your personal and scholastic development.
- Cultivate healthy relationships
- Contribute to your community
- Rather than fighting alone within yourself, share your feelings with your trusted people.
- Practice the habit of sharing your knowledge and skills with others
- Communicate your thoughts, feelings, and ideas
- Stop the habit of self subrogating yourself.
- Learn to accept the change
- Learn to accept and respect others individuality without losing your own
- Get yourself involved with others.
Spiritual health among the 7 dimensions of health refers to having a set of guiding beliefs, principles, and values that actual meaning and purpose along with the right direction to our lives. It’s an ability to develop congruency between values and action while realizing a common purpose that binds the creation together and contributes to our spiritual health and wellness. A spiritually well person always seeks harmony and balance between what lies within and what lies in the outside sources.
Spiritual Health Check
There are a few factors helpful in checking your state of spiritual health in the 7 dimensions of health. These are
- Do you make time for your relaxation in a day?
- Do you make time for prayer and meditation?
- Do your values work as a guide for your decisions and actions?
- Do you accept others’ points of view even if it not similar to your point of view.?
- Do you know stress-relieving techniques?
Tips for Maintaining Spiritual Health
Spiritual health and wellness play an important role in forming the basic character of an individual. It needs to be maintained well. Its importance is well described in our history. Here are some tips useful for maintaining spiritual health. These are
- Vising or developing an interfaith center which reflects much diverse religion and their traditions.
- Attending mindfulness meditation programs, counseling, and psychological services will help you understand the values of living and working with a caring and mindful community. These are mainly aimed at enhancing mindful awareness among individuals.
- Practice for exploring your spiritual core
- Try spending time alone or develop a habit of meditating regularly for some time.
- Try to be more inquisitive and more curious.
- Stop zoning out and be present in everything you do
- Always listen to your heart and lead your life with your principles in which you believe.
- Always stay yourself free and allows others to be free for being their original character.
- Always seek opportunities for growth from the challenges life brings to you.
This dimension comes under the dimensions of wellness but is equally important for the health perspective; therefore is sometimes under the 7 dimensions of health by the researchers. Environmental health, or we can say environmental health is usually an awareness of the unstable and critical state of the planet earth and the effects of our daily harmful habits on our physical environment.
This dimension among the 7 dimensions of health consists of maintaining a sustainable life that maximizes harmony with the earth and the harm caused to the environment. In other ways, it includes being involved in socially responsible activities for the protection of our nature.
Environmental Health Check
There are a few factors helpful in checking your state of spiritual health in the 7 dimensions of health. These are
- Do you practice recycling?
- If you see any safety hazard, do you try to fix it?
- Do you save energy at the lowest forms, like switching off the lights while leaving the room?
- Do you keep your surroundings clean?
- Is your room cluttered?
- If you see any wasted piece of paper lying on the floor, do you pick it up and throw it into the nearest dustbin, at least?
Tips for Maintaining Environmental Health
As we all are well aware of the need to protect our planet earth and the importance of living a sustainable life, here are some tips for developing environmental health and wellness. These are
- Build your workplace healthy and environmentally friendly
- Always have a recycling program in your both workplace and home.
- Avoid the use of hazardous materials and opt for environmentally friendly options.
- Avoid the production of unnecessary and unwanted noise levels and encourage others to do so.
- Practice conserving water and other natural resources and stop the junk mail of yours.
- Minimize the usage of harmful chemicals
Like environmental health, this dimension also comes under the dimensions of wellness but is equally important for the health perspective; therefore, it is sometimes referred to in the researchers’ 7 theses of health. Occupational health and wellness involve preparing and using your gifts, skills, and talents to gain happiness, a feeling of content, and enrichment in your life.
It refers to your attitude towards your work, which develops occupational satisfaction and wellness in you. Achieving this dimension allows you to maintain a positive attitude, along with experience satisfaction from your employment. In other words, Occupational health among the 7 dimensions of health refers to successfully integrating a commitment to your occupation into a lifestyle that is satisfactory and rewarding.
Occupational Health Check
There are a few factors helpful in checking your state of occupational health in the 7 dimensions of health. These are
- Do you enjoy your working days?
- Are you able to manage the workload of your occupation?
- Are you free to talk with your coworkers or your seniors without any hesitance?
- Have you done at least an internship in your interesting career?
- Do you feel content and satisfied with your job, or are you looking for any job – switch?
Tips for Maintaining Occupational Health
Since work is a central part of most of our lives, it’s necessary to maintain our occupational health. Here are some tips for maintaining and developing your occupational health. These are –
- Create supportive connections with the people at your workplace like your co-workers, seniors, and boss
- Build your skills as well as develop new skills simultaneously, which helps you in your occupational growth
- Engage more in your style of learning
- Carry out your health risk assessments at regular intervals and promote preventive health at your workplace
- Provide incentives and favorable rewards to the employees performing at their best level
- The leadership decisions should include the coworkers and the staff of the workplace.
Hence, the concept of health and wellness plays a crucial role in our life, and it’s necessary to focus on all of the 7 dimensions of health to live our life at its best. We can easily learn self-health management tips to maintain our health. To know more, click here.